15 September 2012

Rum Raisin Rice Pudding

I have been making so much Bread Pudding lately that I forgot about, "The Barefoot Contessa's" Rice Pudding.  My friend Dawn came over today and mentioned how much she loves rice pudding. So, I made some for her.  I have made the recipe several different ways... substituting half and half for cream, using just milk.  And each time I have loved the recipe.  

Adapted from Barefoot Contessa
Ingredients
1/3 cup long grain
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cream
3 1/2 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 extra large egg or 2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
Combine rice, salt and 1 1/2 Cup water in a sauce pan. Bring to boil, stir once, and simmer, covered over low heat for 8 to 9 minutes, until most the water is absorbed.
Stir in the cup of cream, 3 cups milk, raisins and 1/2 cup sugar and bring to a boil.  Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, rice should be soft.  Stir often, especially at the last 7 minutes.  I have scrambled the eggs a couple times so I alway temper it. Click here for directions.  Once you have tempered the eggs pour it in the rice and let it cook for 1 more minute.  Take the pan off the heat and add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and vanilla.  Stir well, it's ready to serve.

This pudding is great warm and really good cold.
Enjoy the recipe,
Rhonda


1 comment: