I usually put Cream Cheese frosting on the cupcakes but I love Brown Sugar Swiss Meringue so I decided to give it a try. I love it!!
I found this recipe on-line years ago when a friend of mine told me that his grandma made his favorite Tomato Soup cake and she had passed away. I got on line immediately to find a recipe and made him some cupcakes. It turns out that this is now my husbands favorite.
1 package Duncan Hines Spice Cake
1 1/3 water
1 cup tomato soup
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour pan.
- Mix: Empty dry mix into large bowl. Beat eggs, water and oil into dry mix until moistened (about 2 minutes). Pour batter into prepared pan or cupcake papers.
- Bake: Bake in center of oven at 350°F until cake is firm in center. Follow cooking times provided on the box. Cool 10-15 minutes.
Brown Sugar Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Ingredients makes 2 cups
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature
click here if you want the recipe for 5 cups.
- Put egg whites, sugar, and salt into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until mixture registers 160 degrees, about 4 minutes.
- Beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 6 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low. Add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition (meringue will deflate slightly as butter is added). Beat until frosting is smooth and glossy, 3 to 5 minutes. Buttercream can be refrigerated airtight for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature, and beat before using.