Search This Blog

Loading...

About Me

My Photo
I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking, baking and cleaning. Most the time I feel like I am reenacting an episode of "I Love Lucy." So, I decided to start blogging about all my mishaps and share some good recipes along the way.

13 February 2013

Martha Stewart's Marshmallows

recipe  from Martha Stewart
 I am so glad homemade marshmallows is the
February Challenge for "Have the Cake."
I have always wanted to make homemade marshmallows but never could muster up the courage.  I just knew it would be one big sticky mess.  It wasn't bad at all, although it is a lot of work and powdered sugar gets all over.  It was worth it because these marshmallows are so delicious.    I had to dipped them in chocolate because chocolate makes everything taste better...and it did. 

Ingredients

Vegetable oil, for brushing
4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cups powdered sugar

Directions
Brush a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with oil.   Line with parchment, making sure you have a 2-inch overhang on the long sides. Brush parchment with oil; set aside.

  1. Put sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 3/4 cup water into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring, until mixture registers 238 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 9 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, put 3/4 cup cold water into the bowl of an electric mixer; sprinkle with gelatin. Let soften 5 minutes.
  3. Using the whisk attachment  in the bowl with gelatin mix on low speed, beat hot syrup into gelatin mixture. Gradually raise speed to high; beat until mixture is very stiff, about 12 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Pour into prepared dish, and smooth with an offset spatula. Set aside, uncovered, until firm, about 3 hours.
  4. Sift 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar onto a work surface. Unmold marshmallow onto confectioners' sugar; remove parchment. Lightly brush a sharp knife with oil, then cut marshmallow into 2-inch squares.

Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container up to 3 days.




I dipped graham crackers into milk chocolate, then topped them with a marshmallow. I put them into the oven on broil until the marshmallows melted and turned golden brown.



6 comments:

  1. How beautiful! You are so talented and should be very proud of how the marshmallows turned out!
    Thanks for sharing this at Whimsy Wednesday. Having you at the party with us makes it so special!

    Kelly from Smart School House
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse
    Google+https://plus.google.com/u/0/111902135882668872474/posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use this recipe too and they are the easiest most tasty things ever, I love how you broiled yours, must try that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sue and Kelly, I really appreciate your comments. I loved these marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, I have heard of homemade marshmellows but never knew how to do them. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Such a fun idea! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and fun to make, Rhonda. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays. The next party is live!! http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/02/tasty-thursdays-29.html

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nichi and Jann, I really loved the homemade marshmallows. They were worth the extra work.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed this post~your comments are appreciated.

Follow by Email

IconIconIconIconFollow Me on Pinterest

Beautiful Blogger Widgets

Popular Posts