21 December 2012

Saltine Toffee Candy

Click here to get original recipe 
I use to make these years ago and couldn't remember why I stopped.  Now, I remember... mine always turn out sloppy.  Thank goodness I doubled the recipe because I was able to get enough GOOD PIECES to make a few good packages.   I will tell you this, I think it is me and not the toffee.  My friend Teresa doesn't bake or cook...she makes it and it is amazing ( see picture at the bottom of the page)  It looks great, taste great and everyone goes crazy over it.  So, I don't know what I am doing wrong but it isn't because I am not reading the directions because I am and I even set the timer. 

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1.5 sleeves of saltine crackers
1 stick (4 oz) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
optional~ nuts or crushed up candy cane

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Arrange the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet so that there are no empty spaces in between them. Crush any remaining crackers into small crumbs and set aside for now.
3. Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir while the butter melts, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Once boiling, carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers on the baking sheet in an even layer, trying to cover most of the crackers. If you miss some spots, don’t worry as the toffee will spread in the oven.
4. Bake the toffee crackers at 350 degrees for five minutes, until the toffee is bubbling all over. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for one minute.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the hot toffee, and allow them to sit for one minute to soften and melt. Once softened, use an offset spatula or knife to spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface of the toffee in an even layer. While the chocolate is still sticky, sprinkle the top with the reserved crushed crackers.
6. Refrigerate the pan to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, break into small uneven pieces by hand, and enjoy! Store uneaten saltine toffee in an airtight container for up to a week.

Here is a picture of Teresa's toffee from, "The 3rd Annual Cookie Exchange."  She used graham crackers instead of saltines,  I guess you can interchange the crackers.  It was so DELICIOUS, like always.



1 comment:

  1. These are awesome. I had them once and am thrilled to get your recipe. I love the butter, salt chocolate combination. Thanks for sharing these on foodie friday and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete